Justice Home > Juvenile Justice > Right to information

Right to information

Application to access Government information

1. Search on this website:

Juvenile Justice publishes a large volume of material on this website. We try to release as much government information as possible, either through our website or in another appropriate way, and free of charge or at the lowest reasonable cost.

Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, certain information is required by law to be available on our website, free of charge. This is called "open access information" and includes our:

You should check the open access information at the links above to see if the information you are looking for is already available.

In addition to the "open access information" which we are required by law to make available, we also proactively release a large volume of other information. Our publication guide will give you some guidance about the other kinds of information we hold and release publicly.

If you cannot find the information you are looking for on this website, you can ask us whether the information has already been released by Juvenile Justice proactively in some other form (eg., in printed form).

You can contact us to ask if the information you are after has been released by Juvenile Justice either on this website or in another form. Some publications may only be available on the payment of a fee, but we will let you know if that is the case.

2. Make an informal request:

If the information you are after has not already been published by Juvenile Justice, but is information which raises no particular concerns in terms of possible public interest reasons why it should be kept confidential, then we may be able to release it to you on request without the formalities of having to make a formal application.

Generally, we try to release information we hold without the need for you to make a formal access application, unless there are good reasons to require one.

Informal requests by current or previous clients of Juvenile Justice using the informal request form must be accompanied by suitable identification, preferably photographic.

Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act, Government agencies are not required to release information without an access application. Juvenile Justice reserves the right to require you to lodge an access application, particularly if there may be significant public interest considerations that need to be taken into account in deciding whether the information can be released or if you request a large volume of information or if it would otherwise take Juvenile Justice a significant amount of time to consider your request.

3. Make a formal access application:

If the information you are seeking is not available on this website and is not otherwise routinely provided by Juvenile Justice on request, then you have a right to formally apply for access to specific information.

You can make a formal application by downloading and completing the Application to Access Government Information form [Word, 50kB]​​ and submitting to:

Information Access & Privacy Officer
Office of the General Counsel (Juvenile Justice NSW) 
Department of Justice
GPO Box 6
Sydney NSW 2001

​An application fee of $30 applies unless you are entitled to a 50% reduction as explained on the application form.

The Act says that we are only able to accept access applications that:

  • Are in writing and sent to us at the address above;
  • Clearly state you are requesting information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW);
  • Enclose the $30 application fee;
  • Have a return postal address in Australia as the address for correspondence; and
  • Include as much specific information as necessary to enable us to identify the information you are asking for.

If your application does not include these five things, it will be invalid and will not be processed. If that happens, however, we will let you know and we will help you, if possible, by explaining how you can make a valid application.

Otherwise we will write to acknowledge receipt of a valid access application within 5 working days, and will deal with your application within 20 working days (subject to any extension allowed for under the Act). If any extension of time is required to deal with your application, we will let you know in writing.

Application fees and processing charges

The application fee for making an access application is $30. Processing charges can also be imposed at the rate of $30 per hour. In some circumstances an advance deposit can be required. We will let you know in writing if that applies to your application.

Certain discounts may apply, including on financial hardship and public interest grounds -  for more details see the Information Commissioner Fact Sheets.